Monday, June 11

Iguana and Vanessa

With the Tony Awards over, it means I can finally collapse until Fall, when the new season starts.

This weekend I saw two of the most amazing shows, which only proved to me why I love theater so much.

On Saturday I saw The Year of Magical Thinking starring Vanessa Redgrave. If you've read the book, see it before it's off stage. It was tremendously well done and performed!

Then today before the Tony's I saw Journey's End, and low and behold who was in the audience with me but Ms. Redgrave herself. Journey's End, which ended tonight, won the Tony for best revival.

This show has gone down in my life as one of the most amazing theatrical performances ever. Chilling is all I can tell you. I really pity anyone who didn't get the chance to see it. Really. It had such a short run because we live in a time where people would rather ignore ANY issues of war than even see a show about WWI, that was written in 1928 but is so incredibly relevant to today.

When it won and the Producer said that they put on this show knowing it was going to be a financial loss, I was touched and moved. That show was everything theater should be but often isn't. I can't praise it enough.

Then to finish of my theater weekend I watched the Tony's.

This is the first year I basically saw almost EVERYTHING that was nominated. So I sat there judging of my own accord. It was rather fun. My theater knowledge has grown so much in just one year. It's funny. Tonight I saw Vanessa Redgrave lose the Tony.

That makes three Vanessa Redgrave appearences in my weekend...

This weekend has been labeled:

A Weekend with Vanessa Redgrave

No comments: