Friday, April 6

Iguana Points Out Genius


Before I take the long bus ride upstate to see my family for Easter and spend 4 days bored out of my mind. I just wanted to let you ALL know a little fact that I learned while I was packing for my trip.

I love Kurt Weill and Lotte Lenya more than I can possibly say. I read a book all about Weill's transition from Berlin to Broadway this summer and I was captured. I had heard his music before. Threepenny Opera, Lady in the Dark, and Street Scene before. I also knew his German Ballet/Operetta The Seven Deadly Sins before I read this book. The moment I read this book though I was instantly in LOVE with Weill, Lotte Lenya and their complicated love that lasted MANY years.

Let's face it people, you write The Threepenny Opera in 1928 and it lasts to be revived (even though it was an awful revival, as most Threepenny Opera* productions are because it's a very percise show, but I digress) in 2006, it certainly means something amazing!

So moving along (before I have to leave on the bus), today is the day the first Tony Awards were presented in 1947. There were only 13 awards given out. Among those awards given was to Kurt Weill for Best Original Score of a musical for Street Scene!!

Please forgive me but I find that terrific!! I'm stunned and amazed and LOVING Weill more than ever right now.

I can't wait to see LoveMusik on April 15th. It's an iffy show and I've been waiting with baited breath for it to come out. It's got an amazing cast and crew though. Michael Cerveris as Weill, Donna Murphy as Lenya, directed by Hal Prince, and music all by Weill himself. It's the story of Weill and Lenya's life long partnership that lasted until Weill's death. Now it could be awful, because Prince is one of the greatest directors of all time, but also is 1000 years old (no offense at all to Prince fans, but he is getting up there). I am seeing it though and I can't wait!! Expect a full review when I see the show...and I am going to REALLY dig into that one...I think, it's difficult when I love Weill so much.

Okay, time to start heading out to the bus station. Expect lots of posts from upstate because I'll be so bored.

*Bertolt Bretcht also is to be given credit for Threepenny Opera because in Berlin Weill and him were partners through and through.

No comments: