Wednesday, February 21

Iguana Sees Dutchman


First before I post, I just filed my taxes...or think I did. I'm not even 100% sure. I went through the steps, paid my online filing fees, but it all seemed so easy.

For the first time I owed money, yup, 19 dollars. A huge sum I know! I think living in New York City and filing taxes you will ALWAYS owe money. Anyway I think it's done and it wasn't as complicated as I thought. Unless of course something goes horribly wrong and I'm arrested by the IRS...Then I'll have problems.

Now onto the plays I saw this week...well one of the plays I saw this week.

Dutchman was perhaps one of the best shows I have yet to see in a long time. I know I probably say that about most shows. This time I really mean it. It's a complicated show to describe really. It's controversial, short and chilling.

The play is set on the Subway, which adds to the metaphor of The Dutchman. It's a legend about a ship lost at sea that forever sails on endlessly, never reaching land. As far as I have been told at least. This particular subway is very much the same, at first it makes normal stops on the subway, and suddenly it seems to be going and going, as the action in the show increases, the time between stops takes longer and longer.

The story centers around two characters. A black man named Clay and a white woman named Lula. Lula enters the subway and immediately begins hitting on and enticing Clay. You can immediately tell that Lula is not exactly all together though. My favorite part of her entrance is when she's hitting on Clay while eating an apple sexily. Then suddenly she smashes the apple with her fist and starts screaming. Yet Clay still seems interested in Lula.

The show is about race and stereotypes in society. An it first premiered in NYC (at the same theater) in 1964. At that time it was obvious this play would stir up a lot of controversy, what's sadly surprising is the way it still rings true today.

Not to long ago I posted an entry about being harassed in the Subway because I was gay. The reaction of myself and of the people I was with, mirrored very closely to Clay's reaction, even though his was obviously more theatrical, the things he says on the subway though were shockingly similar to what my traveling companions said when we switched trains.

Both Dule Hill, who played Clay and Jennifer Mudge, who played Lula were terrific! The characters seem so difficult to play and not make overly dramatic or campy and they both did an excellent job.

All I can say is if someone approaches you on the subway in a flirtatious way and is eating an apple...switch cars or get off the train ASAP!!!

No comments: