Sunday, February 4

Iguana Has Tennessee Williams on the Mind

First in normal news, I'm still itchy.

Second in theater news, I finished The Coast of Utopia Trilogy. Each play stands out on it's own. Voyage was a Chekhov-esque drama, with many characters to be introduced and each scene moving by the year. What Stoppard did that was brilliant was how he lead you into the mood of the show through a character who in fact wasn't the main character of the series. It was like giving the audience exposition, but first hand.

Shipwreck soon showed you who the next two plays would revolve around. Of the three I enjoyed this one the most. It started off with the same grandeur as Voyage, but in the second act soon became much more human and intriguing to watch. As well as heartbreaking.

The final, Salvage, brought the series to a close, or did it? Do we forget that after 1866, Russia still went through much more historical events.

Hello Lenin.

But for the final piece I have to say it combined the complexity of the first part with the enjoyability of the second. It was great. So after the show naturally I bought a ticket to a marathon day...

Yes that's one day, ALL THREE plays. It's a 12 hour day kids. Starting at 11 am, and ending at 11pm. Granted I get a lunch and dinner break. It's going to be intense!!! I can NOT wait. To see it all together.

No show has ever effected me this way. I enjoy it.

Today I journeyed out to New Jersey to see my second in three Tennessee Williams shows. Today was Summer & Smoke. Which will get it's own review in a different entry. Amanda Plummer was great as Alma, but I can see where the show once got criticism. On the 13th I'll be seeing, In the Bar of A Tokyo Hotel, one of 10's last plays. It's gonna be interesting, probably. It's playing at an off-off-Broadway theater called The White Horse. Check it out, got a limited run.

No comments: