Wednesday, June 11

Adding Machine, Or Something Like It

Last night I saw Adding Machine and went into the show with much speculation. It won all the Lucille Lortel Awards this year. Along with a bunch of other awards. Yet, when I put in the CD my Supervisor gave me I scratched my head and rolled my eyes. It seemed so intense and dissonant at a first listening that I simply decided I must see it to decide whether or not this award winning Off-Broadway musical was worth all the Hullabaloo.

At 8:05 PM I realized why it got all the praise! As the two lead characters appeared on stage "lying" next to each other in a bed, while Mrs. Zero complained and droned on and on about her wasted life. I was sure that tonight's evening wouldn't be like any I'd encountered in a long time.

The story is simple, but takes incredible turns. I never found myself predicting anything before it happened. It was as if I was watching a twisted fairytale take place, but at the bottom of it all there was so much truth. The original play was written in 1923 by Elmer Rice and then musicalized in modern day. Yet, they kept the 1920s style true to a T, meanwhile, using synthesized music that was reminiscent of old silent movies.

The story is as follows:
After 25 years of service, Mr. Zero is told he's being fired and replaced by the new Adding Machine. In anger he kills his boss and thus begins a wild adventure to jail and to the great beyond.
Think it sounds simple? I thought so too, but then the show happened and I found myself mesmerized with the absurdities that followed.

The design elements were amazing. The lighting, though dark, was amazingly done. The depressing mood of the show was set before the show actually began. The set was simple, but always changing and you rarely felt like you were seeing an Off-Broadway Production, but a full scale Broadway musical.

The acting was very solid. I thought I'd hate Mr. Zero and Mrs. Zero (the missus has a voice that could make Elaine Stritch cringe), but I loved they both and the imperfect lives they lead.

The only thing that Adding Machine has going against it is the extremely modernistic score. Not that it's at all bad, actually it's brilliant! Yet, sometimes the normal person doesn't see the brilliance. They just wonder where the pretty songs have all gone. It's true, if I never saw the show and listened to the CD, I would (and did) turn it off very quickly.

Yet, once you get through Mrs. Zero's grating opening number and come to terms that this show is devoid of pretty songs. You can easily fall in love with it! Actually there are songs that are pretty, but they too hold an irony in them.

If you're in the city and love theater. I highly suggest Adding Machine. It may not be for everyone, but for those who do appreciate theater that tries.

No comments: