Monday, June 23

Time Heals Everything?


One of my favorite Jerry Herman songs Time Heals Everything was Bernadette Peter's 11 o'clock number in the short lived Mack & Mabel. The story of Mack Sennett and Mabel Normad of EARLY Hollywood. Starring Robert Preston as well, the show was dark. This wasn't Hello Dolly! people. The storyline was very depressing and the two leads lacked chemistry due to the age differences. It closed after 66 performances.

Yet, Herman wrote Time Heals Everything. A song you only need to hear once and just become entranced with for the rest of your life. At work I found the rare 1988 Concert Version of Mack & Mabel and Georgia Brown sings this particular number.

Now Bern is terrific in this role, don't get me wrong. She created it and really works it out! But Georgia's rough voice totally adds to the pain that Mabel is feeling in that number. I mean the woman was taking Heroin! Sorry Bern, but just like in Gypsy. You've been outdone again. Thank God this CD is rare, huh? So no one can point out your flaws.

This is why I love flops. They leave room for reinterpretation and open ideas.

Since I can't find Georgia Brown singing it. I will give you Bern doing what she does best. As I said, she's hardly weak when she does this number. So enjoy...

No comments: