Sunday, January 11

Post Mortem: Patti LuPone in Gypsy

I talked Elizabeth into buying a balcony ticket for the final performance of Gypsy. I had a passing vision of myself there in the St. James. I don't like to go against my visions. As the day drew closer I regretted it the entire day leading up to the event. How was I supposed to sit through three more hours of a show I'd already seen 3 1/4 times before?!

Seeing Patti LuPone take the stage, I knew how I could spend another three hours watching Gypsy. The same way I could dedicate two hours listening to Evita over and over again. I will never have a relationship so dedicated as the one I have with Patti LuPone.

The overture to Gypsy is another reason I can sit through it repeatedly. After it ended I jokingly whispered to Elizabeth, "And may I never hear that overture again!" I felt a hand rest on my shoulder. The old man next to me whispered, "I saw this show fifty years ago! You'll hear this music again!" I proceeded to squeal like a little school girl! More on him in a moment. . .

Patti LuPone is a perfect performer because she is so human. When you see her LIVE you know you're getting just that! I have seen Gypsy with Patti three times in less than a year. I can definitely tell you every time I've seen it has always been different. That's what I enjoy, I like that she keeps it's fresh and alert every time it's viewed. Yet, she still manages to keep the same powerful performance and gusto in every show.

She started Rose's Turn off in a whisper! A whisper!!! It was nuts, she knows she was doing something different and all you can do is sit back and let Patti drive! And we loved her for it, the song ended and we rose as one. Shouting and cheering. We didn't stop and at times I wanted to stop. I sat back down, but felt myself constantly shouting to her. Then she would bow more and we cheered more! As if the Ghost of the Great White Way was in my chair, I would jump up and continue cheering. Elizabeth told me to stop being stupid. *Note to self: Next Raul Esparza show. . .*

I know Elizabeth cannot understand the fascination I have with this lady. I made her a pillow for Christ's Sake! I sat down and with my limited knowledge of sewing and love for this woman. I made her a pillow!
[EDIT: I actually made her two pillows since I lost the first one on the D train. That's two pillows!]


So I screamed out to her, the surge of my cheers leaving my body left me feeling alleviated of sorrow! At one point I raised up my arms and she responded by doing the same and for a third time I felt myself lift from my chair. Screaming in Rapture!

During intermission I spoke with the old man next to me. He was a slice of history that I adore! He saw all the Broadway productions of Gypsy and West Side Story. He has a thing for Sondheim, but don't we all?

I am thoroughly glad that this is going to be my memory. That Patti LuPone will be interwoven with memories of my life. She's a woman I take the time to make pillows and wait at stage doors for. I have history with Patti and her development in my life, but those are memories and nothing more. There is a woman who can make me smile and enjoy myself in the darkest of times. As you said yourself, "Fare-thee-well Ms. LuPone."

No comments: