Sunday, December 17

Iguana Is Miserable

Tonight I saw Les Miserables as it is now being brought back to Broadway, like every revival known to man. Seriously in one square block you have: A Chorus Line, Company, Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera, Spamalot, The Producers and The Lion King. All of these shows have won best musical in different years and now they are ALL within one block of each other.

It's 50 degrees in December, six of the best musicals of the last 30 years are playing along side one another, and wait is that Cher riding in a Chariot of Fire? Okay now I'm convinced it's the Apocalypse.

In all sincerity I am happy that shows like A Chorus Line and Les Mis have been revived, so people like me can get a chance to see them. I got standing room tickets for both these shows and Les Mis pushed my ability to stand to the limit. When they sang One Day More, I thought they were giving a notice of how much longer the show was going to be, and I almost lost it.

This show is basically like the one that left Broadway 3 years ago. Nothing added except a mixed cast. I enjoyed everyone in it, sans poor Daphne Rubin Vega who BUTCHERED the beautiful song, I Dreamed a Dream. I don't know why she was cast in that, I've seen her in other shows and she's impressed me, but not this one.

What I enjoyed most was Eponine (I have a thing for those girls who love men who don't love them in return) I always relate to them. I must say though that Miss Saigon made me cry, while this show made me short of breath more than anything. It's enough when one person dies, but then you have one person dying after the next. In Miss Saigon, you hope so much for Kim's happy ending that will never come and for me it kills me inside.

But back to Eponine. Celia Keenan Bolger plays her, and not that I think she's ugly at all. But in the past you've always had prettier Eponine's than Cosettes. Eponine is the "sexy bad" girl to Cosette's "frigid spinster" look.

I mean how could Marius NOT be drawn to those doilies?

Bolger keeps it real, she has a great voice, Eponine's courage and just the right look for a girl who was raised on the wrong side of the tracks.



That's Right Celia: KEEPS IT REAL.

No comments: