Friday, December 29

Iguana Has A Crisis

Tennessee Williams, The Sound and the Fury, Anita Morris. All these fascinations with things from the South, perhaps I should move down there some day to experience it all first hand. Then comes the question of where you would even move to.

It used to be an easy answer:

New Orleans

Now it was the only logical place. I think it's gotten much better since the hurricane. Isn't it funny how disconnected from the world I am sometimes?


Last night I went to Marie Crisis with a newly acquainted friend in the city. It's an institution in the city. Basically a piano bar that sings show tunes the entire night. Why wouldn't I love it? Well I did love it. A bunch of theater queens singing their drunk hearts away. Among the people I was introduced to, I met Edie, a rather famous drag queen, who was out of drag and very VERY funny.

I didn't realize I was in the presence of such fame until today, I am rather glad that I didn't gush.


So the thought of writing plays has been on my mind constantly. It's something that excites me, but as cliched as it sounds, scares me to no end. It's a mixture of inexperience, timidness and actually participating in something I love.

I'm not trained in play writing so that can mean two things in my opinion.
  1. I am an idiot savant of sorts and that I am great at it naturally or;
  2. I am awful and shouldn't try it now in my life.
I hope it's the former personally. I have a few ideas, we shall see where they lead out. I've already decided that this process cannot take overnight. It could be years in the perfecting, but why not start now. I have time.

I'll admit though I've already pictured getting my Tony Award and thinking about what I would say as my speech...

But that could be YEARS from now.

No comments: