Friday, December 15

Iguana Watches with a Critical Eye

Now I'm not one for public Crucifixions, in Jesus Christ Superstar it is my least favorite scene, it's awkward and not entertaining on the eye. Though when someone does something that makes you uncomfortable and upset, I can sort of see why the people were so eager to crucify Jesus when it came down to it.

Bill Condon is my Jesus Christ. And I was him crucified. Not so much that I hate him, more that I hate that he has so much power and makes such foolish decisions. Not that the movie Dreamgirls was a bad movie, it was just conflicted at times.

Perhaps the most sacrilegious choice he made for me was cutting Ain't No Party, while adding other unnecessary songs in its place. For those of you who don't know, the character of Lorrell in the movie is a small, but wonderful character. Played by Loretta Devine in the original Broadway Show, Lorrell sings this song when she's had enough of her affair with a married man. It was a show stopper, so much that she was nominated for a Tony. When you cut out this song, the character of Lorrell becomes nothing REALLY important. She still have some clever lines, but compared to Effie and Deena, she might as well be like Michelle...who they gave more characterization to than Lorrell...

But I digress.

The reason he said Condon cut out this number, this amazing number, is because it didn't fit in with his vision of the film. This is where my question comes in.

What vision is that Bill?

Originally I had heard that like in Chicago, he was going to take all the numbers so they were on stage (just as they were in Roxy's mind). Which in the beginning of the movie he follows, even during Steppin' To the Bad Side it was still a number performed on stage. It was during Family where this "vision" of Bill's began to fade in my eyes. Suddenly Effie is singing in the dressing room and they aren't performing to anyone. So I don't see why she couldn't have her one song? And why did they add other unnecessary numbers? Listen and I Love You I Do are both good songs that I could see being added, but the other songs were MORE expendable than Ain't No Party.

With that aside...

I saw it again tonight. This time though I turned off my critical eye and watched it purely as a movie, not bringing in the Broadway show to compare. And all in all.

IT'S A GREAT MOVIE

Everyone was up to par, except perhaps Jamie Foxx, but he plays a sleaze bag asshole and he did it well. Jennifer Hudson, though new to movies and slightly nervous, did an amazing job. I admit I cried when she sang, And I Tell You I'm Not Going. If you can do that to me, than I love your performance. Beyonce was surprisingly great. Anika Noni Rose (the new Lorrell) is amazing, though under used. And Eddie Murphy is a great James Thunder Early.

It's an enjoyable movie amongst all the other movies nowadays that don't have this many redeemable features.


No comments: