Sunday, January 7

Iguana Goes to Chicago After 10 Years


Finally after it's been on Broadway for ten years, and moved between three different theaters, I have finally seen Chicago on Broadway.

I know it took me long enough and it probably was assumed that I had seen it already amongst the many musical I have already seen.

The reason I never saw the musical was due to the fault of the movie. I both love and hate the movie. Just as every movie-musical destroys the integrity that the musical it was based on, it can be done well. I mean West Side Story, Cabaret and Showboat needed to make changes in order to reach a film viewing audience. The same with Chicago. The revival is amazing though.

The bandstand setting, the black lacy costumes, and the amazing dances all meld together so well. It's no wonder this show has lasted as a ten year revival (where most revivals close down eventually). Someone I know even said it was what they considered the perfect musical, and I could possibly agree. Ann Reiking/Bob Fosse's choreography is stunning and the dancers all have amazing bodies that the sexuality of the songs shows through. The Kander and Ebb songs are beautiful on the ears, never too complicated to listen to, like some Sondheim melodies can be.

Plus Bebe Neuwirth is back, but playing Roxie Hart this time. Mainly because she has a new hip and Velma's fast paced dances aren't within her range anymore. She is excellent, such a wonderful presence on stage. Her cute Shirley Temple hair is perfect for the role. Brenda Braxton plays a sassy Velma and Roz Ryan's Mama Morton...well let's just say I could die listening to that woman's powerful voice. Even though she doesn't necessarily do much during When You're Good to Mama, her vocal power makes up for it.

I am glad I saw Chicago when I did because there have been many awful star names that have passed through there. Melanie Griffith and Rita Wilson to name a few. To see Bebe playing the opposite role was such a nice twist that it made it very much worth it.

No comments: