Monday, January 8

Iguana Has His Spring's Awakening

Yesterday I saw Spring's Awakening, and loved it. First, this was the first musical I have seen in a while where I went in knowing none of the musical and only the script from the original play. It's been getting rave reviews, and I can see why. As far as progressive musicals go this one is great!

I've heard some complaints about how the story is dated and the music all sounds the same. I say to shame to that. It's a rock musical. No, not a 1970s
Jesus Christ Superstar Rock Opera, not a pseudo rock Opera of the early 90s like RENT. This is a perfect rock musical of the 2000s.

We forget that times are changing and thus tastes and musical style change as well. The rock aspect of the musical only ties together the dated story and makes it more poignant in the end. What they never specifically tell is that all the characters in the show are supposed to be 1
4-15 years old. When you can grasp that concept, suddenly the show seems much more enlightening.

During the "
rape" scene it's not two 18 year old finally getting it on. It's a girl who has no idea about sex, and a boy who is very curious about it. There is no real love felt between them, and due to their lack of knowledge from their parents and teachers, they can't foresee the dire results this curious copulation will lead to.

Much is to be taken into account for most of the show. Now I have a 13 year old sister and I've heard the music she listens to. The songs they sing in this show bare such a striking resemblance to this that I couldn't help appreciate how well it was captured. A young teenager going through puberty wouldn't sing a beautiful ballad about his urge to masturbate or his frustrations about feeling suicidal thoughts. You then are left with these characters from the 1800s who may leave you thinking, "How can I relate," but the songs are the relation. The feelings in 1890s were very similar to that what teens go through today.

This is the
perfect modern musical for my generation and I really hope it has a long and lasting run.

Now onto my normal life:

As I have just ended the Glass Menagerie part of my life and I have said goodbye to my Gentleman Caller, I have possibly started the The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore part of my life. I have recently met an Older Gentler-man who (if this storyline continues of course) who I will call Goforth (as in Sissy Goforth). We had been corresponding online during Christmas and he was very sweet and nice. Last night we met up and hit it off pretty well. The best part of it, we didn't have sex. The option, as always was there, but we didn't have sex and that's all that matters. He is a dresser on a VERY popular Broadway show and I admire that a lot. That's all I shall say for now, cause who knows. The passing phases of men are fickle nowadays.

Of course the one thing about it all is he's significantly older than me. If he's Goforth, then I am Chris Flanders (the Angel of Death).

No comments: