Friday, November 7

Anti-Prop 8 Protest and The March of City Hall

Tonight I was part of an Anti-Prop 8 Protest in San Francisco. We stumbled upon it right outside of K’s apartment. It started off as a group of about 40-60 people blocking the street shouting out, “What we do we want? EQUAL RIGHTS! When do we want it? RIGHT NOW!!” I felt a charge, nothing major, but one that put a smile on my face and an extra beat in my chest. Yet, I wondered if these 60 people were the only ones who cared about Equality.

After about Ten minutes the group of 40 slowly turned around to face the other side of the street. There was a quiet calm and in the distance a huge mass of bodies was moving down Market St! They had walked to Dolores Park and back. Gathering more and more followers in their wake. Now they were ready to march on city hall (which was only two blocks away from where we were). I quickly called K, told her to move, cause we were marching on City Hall!

K and I quickly joined the march. Shouting proudly and walking amongst people who all believed in Equal Rights! Oh, the energy of it all! It was astounding. Suddenly, I knew that I have discovered a passion I feel so greatly towards. My friend (a native New Yorker) was telling me that Homosexuals from the West are to complacent and not passionate about anything anymore. Was this complacency? Does that mean the homosexual population in New York City is close to death?

The whole feeling was amazing! Coming here at 15, having just come out. I never foresaw in 8 years I would be returning and marching for such a historic cause! This trip keeps making circles in my life. I feel increasing clarity each day. Though I know the real world will return the moment I set foot back in the city. I will be jobless, I will feel alone, I will still worry at night and I know that all these feelings won’t just go away. Tonight though! Tonight was for discovering, for experiencing and for taking it all in.

We reached City Hall and continued to shout. I grabbed K’s hand and quickly got us as close as I could to the hall. I texted friends back in NY and just felt so exhilirated to be there! We shouted and I took a step back. Suddenly, I bumped into a deity, I wanted to fall to my knees in Rapture. Our Messiah has descended.

A Drag Goddess dressed in all gold made her way up to the steps. She didn’t have a name, she was just one of the many who were here and were proud! Ironic as it all is, no one thought to bring a megaphone. Yet her voice rang out, not mic’d and as clear as any voice in the dark. The crowd soon fell silent.

“We are here for a common cause! We all believe in Equality! This march was formed spontaneously through text messages and emails. Through Myspace and Facebook messages! And somehow, I seem to have been voted as the leader!” The crowd broke out in loud cheers of excitement!

“Tonight a straight couple was walking down the street with their baby in a stroller, because they believe in equal rights! A lesbian couple was walking with their baby and I turned to them and said, ‘When your child is grown. No matter what sexuality, gender or race he will be. He WILL have the right to marry whomever he chooses!” We cheered more than ever! “It may take a while, but we will get there! Tonight is only the beginning!” Eva Peron had spoken and the Casa Rosada was alive with hope!

Oh, to be there was powerful! I have never protested for anything, because I rarely feel so strongly towards anything. I find everyday I want to be part of a gay cause. Fighting HIV/AIDS or fighting for Equality. Something, but for tonight, I was part of something and it will stay in my memory for the rest of my life!

No comments: