Saturday, June 23

Iguana Gets Justice

I'd like to propose a toast...
(cue The Ladies Who Lunch)


Here is to new identity:
Just ten days longer than a year ago I was known as a different blogger. That blogger was Blondie_boi. Blondie_boi was a much more immature person than I am now. That's why I felt a change was needed in my life and I let go of the blonde and took on the Iguana. I'm very happy I did.

Here is keeping memories alive:
But that's not that point of this entry. The point of this entry is holding onto what you believe in. You hold onto it for so long that even when life hits you with shit, you can someday recall it and feel that you never doubted yourself for a moment.

Here is to just desserts:
A year ago and ten days when I was known as Blondie_boi. I was LJ friends with a certain user who claims to be a writer. That is fine with me, perfectly fine. But what wasn't fine with me was his claim to be a theater critic. He would see a show and just gush about it. Then if he saw something he didn't like he would bitch and moan. It was down right annoying. What annoyed me the most was his love of Disney musicals. Disgusting. Purely disgusting.

One day he wrote a review on seeing Tarzan the Broadway show. A review to which I will post for you now:

Last week (before I flew to Chicago) I got to see Disney's Tarzan on Broadway.

I was crying within the first minute. Why? Because it was so goddammed magical.

Is it an AMAZING musical? Well, it certainly is visually. I was afraid that I would never be able to share all of the flying, swinging and Wicked-beating special effects, but now I can!

Below is a link to Disney's exclusive Tarzan video. Click the link, wait through the commercial and see all of the ridiculous shit they were able to do on a live stage.

It truly is breathtaking... Plus you get to see ex-Idol contestant, Josh Strickland in nothing but Tarzan's loin cloth.

Yeah, I figured that would get your attention.


Yes. He said those things earnestly. Well for anyone who knows me when I sense unjust theater opinions going around, I must raise my voice...*

Here's to the ladies who lunch (Me):
your opinions confuse me...are you being paid by someone to endore certain thing? lol and before you yell at me, I know people are allowed their own opinions.

Everybody laugh (Him):
The numbers do the talking - whether the theatrical community poohpoohs Tarzan or not, it is here to stay as its ticket sales are doing just fine.

The show is a visual spectacle - the story, a simple one. But Disney no doubt invests lots of money and time into what they do - Tarzan was spectaular.

And I wish I were being paid, though sadly i am not.


Here's to the girls who stay smart (Me):
I think that's what it is about you, you LOVE commerically endorsed things. The Wedding Singer, Tarzan, etc. You like the shows that are contemporary. Tarzan can't fail because it's Disney, Disney is starting to RULE Broadway. Just like the Jukebox musical this is NOT A good thing. The Lion King was a good thing because Julie Taymor made it amazing with her artistry. Not it's just: Lets take a movie and make it full of special effects and lets put it on stage. Mary Poppins, The Little MErmaid (which I admit I am excited about), but really Broadway doesn't need this this in my opinion cause soon almost all the musicals that survive are going to be Disney movies...and that upsets me.

Aren't they a gas? (Him):
Well theater was always a spectacle. I love both comercially and non-comercially endorsed things. I love off-bway and NYTW and college theater.

I don't believe in ruling something out just because it's expensive and glitzy.

I hate Jukebox Musicals because they're lazy and often directionless. Wedding Singer was a very good time. Tarzan was breathtaking.

We can hem and haw about "what's good for broadway" but it, my friend, is a business. It is doing better this year than ever before. At 115 bucks a ticket, there is no choice - they must do what will bring people in.

You want independent theater? Stop by the NYU blackbox. Walk into a piss-smelling theater in little italy.

You're not going to find experimental non-comercially funded work on Bway anymore, just as much as you're not going to find an Indy movie at the local sony googaplex.

But I won't let this destroy my feeling for a musical. If it feels magical/ looks good/ sounds nice, I'm pleased.

If I'm bored, I'm out.

Here's to the girls who play wife (Me):
Pull in your claws Mame they're showing.

Did you see Caroline or Change? Did you see See What I Wanna See? Evita? The Light in the Piazza? Parade? A New Brain? That is good theater and most of it was last time I check on Broadway or close by.

I think my ellist opinions on musicals and your more "simple-but-not-to-be-an-insult" opinions will always clash.

Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's trash. My best example will be Cats...it's shit, but it was once the longest running Broadway Show EVER.

Sure the shows I mentioned aren't around anymore, but those shows also don't have a Onmimedia ruling over it. Disney would sooner pay people to buy tickets rather than let a show of their's close early.

Aren't they too much? (Him):
Yes, we will always disagree. I have seen and/or own soundtracks to each of the shows you mentioned.

The difference between me and you is I like "good" shows AND "fun" shows.

I don't go for "Bad" shows.

Simple as that.

And here's to the girls who just watch, aren't they the best?:
lol Tarzan is a good show...okay let me sleep on that...

Did I tell you about the time I got my Hemmerhoid removed? I mean it was "good" for me to have done that. In the end my ass was bleeding for days, but it was a "good" choice. Let's not go saying things like good...cause they have double meanings.

When they get depressed it's a bottle of scotch, plus a little jest (Him):
Have you seen Tarzan?

Let me know when you do.

Until then, don't place judgment. It's an enjoyable show for kids and families, it tells a story that's known widely. The songs are catchy and it's a visual spectacle.

Whatever your criteria may be, give it a non biased viewing before you start comparing it to your ass issues.

So here's to the girls on the go, everybody tries... (Me):
whoa mary! Is it the full moon or did I really upset you? haha. I unfortunately can't afford Tarzan I'll catch it when it's closing the tickets get cheaper.

Look into their eyes and you'll see what they know... (Him):
Okay, so we'll continue this discussion in twenty years when it closes, then.

Everybody dies!! (Me):
I'll be turning 41 and I shall tell you what I think then.

It's hard not to reply when discussing things with such an A Type personality as yourself.

I trive to see what your reply is when I say something like:

Tarzan is shit

*Warning: I will admit this was a much younger me. Plus I was thoroughly pissed off, and I couldn't take these idiotic reviews any longer. I need to speak, and I didn't care if it was pretty.

Here's to not holding a grudge, but holding on, nonetheless:
So we ended it there. I let it go. I did it more to see how bad a bad obsession can get. Rereading it now I realize how dumb I myself sounded, but I was young as I said. So much changes in The Year of Magical Thinking.

I don't know why I never forgot it though. Dismissed it. If he liked shitty shows, then he liked shitty shows. It was his final comment that stuck with me. "We'll continue this discussion in 20 years?" Because of that comment alone I was WILLING to wait 20 years until it closed just to discuss it with him more. A passion does this to you.

Fortunately for me, I didn't need to wait 20 years...

Seems like Tarzan was no longer making the great ticket sales. Hm, interesting.

I'm not basking, honest. I'm merely pondering how this could be possible.

Here's to getting your MOTHER FUCKING COMEUPPANCE!:
Tonight I went back to that very entry and posted (without any caring for the fact I am coming off as crazy. Who cares if people think your crazy when you proudly wear the title Eccentric on your sleeve?)

Everybody rise! Rise! Rise! Rise! Rise! RIISSSSEEEEEEE!! (Me):
I know this is a blast from your past. And I've long since stopped using this livejournal. I switched to a new one. But I thought I'd recall this conversation and let you know...

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=19485

On my 22nd birthday. Not my 41. Let's just take that in for a moment.

I'm not one to hold onto issues of any kind, but when it comes to theater. I am always correct.


Here's to finally being able to let go...but with a smile on your face

Goodnight.

No comments: