Tuesday, June 5

Iguana's Ventures

Humdrum Melodic life we're leading now aren't we?

Today I woke at 8:04 am and walked to pick up my 31 lbs of laundry at the cleaner. Which is right down the street. I watched kids walk to school with their parents holding their hands. One of the kids played a game of naming different colored rocks. I didn't know Banana was a color, but the mind of a child is a wonderful thing.

What I would like to mention the play that I saw this Sunday which after a couple days of thinking about it has left me spellbound. The show is Eurydice by Sarah Ruhl. Who did The Clean House (another show I loved)


This play blew my mind, which is why I needed a day or two to think about how I felt. It also didn't help that while seeing it, some old corpse behind me kept saying out loud, "This show is awful."

Which lead me to wonder, is this show awful? I thought the staging and presentation was astounding. It was pictorial throughout the show. Like the picture above, that image is beautiful in my mind! There were just moments like above that really touched my soul.

Then there was the matter of language. Sarah Ruhl has a style that I feel will someday be studied and celebrated all around. Her plays are fantastic and surreal and remind me of Beckett and Albee in their own way.

This time the lady is doing it for herself.

Her writing is poetic and absurd at some points that you would sit there and just say, "What did I just hear/see?" I loved that! For example, the stage is dark and the lights come up and a man on a giant tricycle rides on, with a badger wearing a head wrap attached to it. While loud rock music plays and lights just flash repeatedly. It was mind blowing!!

And at the end of the show, for the first time in an audience there was hesitation to clap. I had never felt such confusion in an audience in my life. So even if the rest of them hated it, I am proud to say I really enjoyed it.

I think Sarah Ruhl is becoming my favorite playwright of my time.

I leave you with this...



No comments: