Wednesday, June 13

Iguana Runs Errands

Working as an intern/helper for friends is more difficult it sounds.

We had a staged reading of Another Gay Sequel at the Zipper theater tonight. It was a blast, but also a lot of work. The last two days were spent with me exploring the city to find these props that may not SOUND hard to find but were:

  • A Crab
  • Rosary
  • Tiki
  • Tiara
Yea, easy to find, right? Now name where you'd find them. The Rosary cost me a LOT of sleep lost that I was meant to get. Costume shops, jewelry stores, sex stores...nothing had them.

Low and behold, St. Patricks Cathedral has a gift shop...gift shop, I say. Rosaries go for 9 dollars apparently. My mission was accomplished.

The last two days have been long and tiring. Looking for these things in the hot sun, then working all day.

Summer Vacation. Is it all I ever wanted? My next paycheck will remind me of why summer vacation is good for me. Apparently, I will not be traveling this summer, as I ever SO wanted. As I walked to the subway this morning, my mind drifted on people who are truly in love with the city.

Am I one of those people? I want desperately to leave it sometimes, and yet I feel if I go, even for a small amount of time, I will surely miss out on the best thing and then where will I be?

Plus, traveling with no one is truly a bummer. And no one goes anywhere with me. In two Saturdays I will be going to Asbury Park in New Jersey for a gay wedding. I'm going with a group of friends, and well while that's not a vacation for them. It is most certainly for me. I haven't been on an actual vacation in three years.

It's not time to go into that.

During the set up for the reading, I was asked to get a mini flag so an actor could imitate the Edie Dance in Grey Gardens. From the two city blocks I walked, apparently the rain started. Without an umbrella I began to get soaked. So I ran to the theater, yes I found a flag.

I almost collided with a Latino Girl, who almost poked my eye out. I kept running, but did apologize. But, chances are she didn't take it sincerely. I arrived to the reception, looking like a drown rat.

Gay men everywhere and I look like a washed up wreck And I was proud of it.

Eccentricity isn't a choice, it's a duty.

After it finally came together, my props were used brilliantly. I tried three different kinds of pot and got VERY high. Almost TOO high, I came home and ate practically half the groceries I bought today. Different options of food, being difficult for me to understand, still. I'll get used to it.

I'm going to stop now, but my main point was. Judy's Carnegie Hall Concert once again popped up in my shuffle today. It suddenly nullified to ALL the shit of running around the last two days.

Goodnight, Moon. Goodnight, Judy.

No comments: