Friday, June 15

Iguana's Hair Cut

The buzz cut has made it's return to my head and I'm glad for it. I do like myself with longer hair though, I'll admit. But, it gets to a point where I just get tired of styling it and even if it's just there (like parted to the side, a style I had been doing regularly the last few days) and people like it, I don't feel happy.

With a buzz cut, I don't need to worry about this things. I just wash and go and it's "styled" so to speak. Then it grows out and the process begins again. I got my hair did at a local salon in Park Slope, which was terrific just for the notion that I no longer need to travel to Astor Place for a buzz cut. It was friendly and nice and it really made me smile on the inside.

While getting my hair buzzed I realized how much blonder it's become with the summer. I feel like it was so much more darker when I got my first buzz cut in September of 2006. I have golden hair, it's really nice.

In other news:

My long ago partner in crime is coming to the city next week. And by partner in crime I mean one of my favorite fag hags of ALL time. E, who has a blog of her own, is coming to the city for a day. I already requested off work, so we can spend the entire day together! I'm REALLY excited by this, she makes me laugh to no end.

Her choice to come down is funny, she told me she wanted to see the Company Revival before it closed and basically I told her, "COME SEE IT!" She's been going on about Raúl Esparza ever since...well for a while. Plus since I sent her the Company Revival CD for free, I felt it my duty to get her to actually SEE the show before it closed.

She's not used to the life I've been living for a year. I call it the life of "Getting" not the life of "Wanting". Basically I have seen any and every show I wanted to this year (which would be basically EVERY show that touched a stage in NYC) and didn't care how I saw it. TDF played a big roll in the purchasing of tickets, which was great since they're cheap tickets that can be ordered from online.

Student Rush...eat your heart out.

It just was nice to spread that theater mania to someone else and have them buy a ticket to something they really want to see. Rarely do I get to do that.


Now this may sound extremely weird and corny, but in the last few years as I found out about different shows (Side Show, Smile, Carrie the Musical, etc) that premiered years ago (some not so long ago) and I missed out on them I would always feel a deep sadness inside my soul.

I'll never forget when I was turning 13 and my aunt was going to take me to any Broadway show I wanted. I was determined to go see Side Show. I had the CD and had seen the performance on the Rosie O'Donnell Show. Only to find out the show had closed. Or when I was turning 15 and I had just discovered Audra McDonald and desperately wanted to see Marie Christine. Once again, it had closed.

When I first moved to Brooklyn, 3.5 years ago, and I was moving into my dorm. Was I excited to be leaving home? To be going to college? To meet new people?

NO!

Literally the only thing on my mind was, "I have got to see Caroline, Or Change before it closes in a week!" And yes, I did see Caroline, Or Change two days later. I knew nothing of student rush, standing room only, etc. I just went and asked if they had student seats for the show. They offered me partial viewing and I took them. I couldn't see Chuck Cooper as the Dryer from my seat. But, I did it, I saw a show that I really wanted to see before it closed!

In that moment I knew something had changed. I knew that from this moment on, I would never let a show pass me by without good reason. I would no longer have to wait months until my birthday for my one Broadway show a year, only to find out that closed a month before. It was one of the very reasons I had moved to the city in the first place:

To experience theater!

So in short, I don't know where I was going with that rant. Except it was nice to excite E today to buy the ticket. Pretty soon, she too will be able to see shows as she pleases.

I hope this all made sense.

P.S. I have a pesudo date tonight...how these things come up, I don't know anymore.

No comments: