Wednesday, March 5

The Night I Met Patti LuPone





Where do I go from here? Really. I've achieved a goal that I've always wanted. Do I have to stop discussing Patti LuPone? Obviously not, I suppose I should just tell the story.

To be honest of the three versions of Gypsy starring Patti I have seen (yes, I have seen three...it's a lonely life I live). This was my least favorite. At City Center you could forgive small things like poor sets and costume choices. They only had so much time. Yet, with a Broadway production, spend the extra money and just make a new set. The show was going for the idea that Vaudeville is dead. I understand that, but the hand painted backgrounds were not so amusing this time.

My friend hated the costumes, but I didn't mind so much. They used a lot of patterns on Patti and then for Rose's Turn, it was just a simple dress. It was sort of odd. I know, it's so as to not distract from her moment. Dainty June was amazing. I loved the spin she took on it, making June just plain angry at her life. She was unhappy every moment and it worked. Louise was great too, as was Herbie. Yet, I feel none of these roles changes much from City Center. Patti changed a little.

The energy of the show felt much lower than City Center. This is obvious since they went from just playing weekends, to eight shows a week. Obviously they're not going to give it their all on a Tuesday night during the second preview. Since I saw it closing night, I was a little let down. Patti cut down on the hamming. I'm sorry, but I love the hamming. Keep the hamming Patti. I know why you're not. You want that Tony Nomination (it would be wild if she won! Her chances are good. I will tell you more though when I see A Catered Affair and South Pacific).

I also met Allison Fraiser last night too. I should give it up for the original Trina who has guided me in my life for years. She was terrific as Tessie Tura. Actually the entire Gotta Get A Gimmick number is amazing! Marilyn Caskey, who plays Electra, for only have like 5 minutes in the show. Stands out amazingly! She reinvents an otherwise lifeless character and totally bitch slaps Jerome Robbin's Choreography. Which I laugh at, very much so.

Lastly, they are trying a different ending to the show. It just doesn't work. Yet, I am thrilled that I got to finally see a different take on Gypsy. Even if it fell a little flat. Yet again when it's been the same for years, new things always seem odd. Patti's Rose's Turn was a little nutty, but I still loved it. She played it as Rose was having a complete breakdown and it was interesting. I like the idea of Rose losing her mind, because Rose says herself, she never had the talent. Why suddenly would she have this great talent. She's battling off her demons while trying to believe that she is talented.

Now meeting Patti. It took a long while and I had my pillow all ready. I had Camino Real all set on camera mode. It was 11 pm when the show ended. Patti didn't come out until 12:30. While we waited, my friend and I spent time making lewd comments. Yes, we are that kind of people. Comments about how Patti sleeps upside down in the theater hanging off the Rose Sign. I love Patti, true, but anyone who keeps me waiting for that long gets made fun of.

Yes, I know that's enough to make me hate anyone. It was how she appeared that was grand. Around 12:29 everyone goes silent (the had always turned off the marquee lights) and we hear voices coming down the hall singing, Give My Regards to Broadway and out emerges Patti and several of her friends.

Patti announces that she's been drinking. Be it a joke or serious was everything I pictured! She started signing autographs and treating everyone equally, making small talk. She then lead us in another chorus of Give My Regards and when she found some people who had a birthday she lead us in a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday.

My moment to connect with Patti was ruined when the woman before me took Patti and whispered some deep dark secret into her ear. She was shaking! I believe she was telling Patti she had Cervical Cancer and hearing Rose's Turn put her Cancer into remission. So when Patti came to me I was going to tell her a dark secret to keep the theme, but I figured my pillow was enough.

She admired the pillow and I had a starstruck moment where I don't remember much, except she asked what should she write. My mind went blank and all I could say was, "Don't Cry For Me Craig." Oh Jesus. We live and learn don't we? Well it's a clever little message because during these trying times, I haven't been crying much. So it was just restating my life. She then gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek.

Thus a dream has been completed and I now own a pillow. I made. That Patti LuPone has signed. Yes, I am officially one of those PEOPLE.

Time for a game:



Watch the following Youtube video this kid took last night and see if you can: A. Spot me holding my pillow (watch carefully) and B. Spot how drunk Patti may or may not be...Good luck!

No comments: