Thursday, March 13

My new favorite lady - Not I


Alice Ripley, to know that you've been in my life for years. Yet I chose to ignore you! How, why am I so foolish sometimes? Well, every Broadway lady gets their attention in my life and right now you're in my mind often.

What I would love more is if Alice Ripley performed Not I by Beckett. Not I is probably one of the most difficult monologues I have ever seen performed. It's a monologue that's just a woman's mouth. That's all. Watch the video if you don't believe me. Why I would like Alice to perform this is because her voice is so hypnotizing to me.

What might be better is someone tried to put Not I to music. I know, I know that's probably violating Beckett's idea. And the House of Beckett (which I picture as a small shack that when entered opens up into the abyss) would probably never allow it, since Becket's very precise, but I think it may be fun to put to music. A very dissonant sound would be created and for that I love the idea.

Saturday I am going to aim at trying to see Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. Then on Sunday we scored cheap seats to August Osage County. Which I'm excited to see, because everyone's been ranting and raving about it since it opened. I sometimes wonder if my opinion is the same of the popular. More than often it seems it's not.


No comments: