Wednesday, March 12

Some Enchanted Evening

Last night was South Pacific at Lincoln Center. My favorite place in all of Manhattan. I wasn't going to see Candide again this year, but I decided since the New York City Opera is closing next season for renovations I may as well.

The production was South Pacific was stellar. Truly stunning. The sets, costumes and lighting were done in the highest of quality. Especially the Bali Hai number, while Bloody Mary was singing in the seascape backdrop turned purple and slowly an island appeared onto it. Very simple, but very effective to the beauty of the song.

Kelli O' Hara was a formidable Nellie. I loved her, I thought she played the role as it was supposed to be. I mean I know why Mary Martin rocked the role. Paulo Szot's Emile was very good. There's something about that character that is lack luster though. He sings Some Enchanted Evening three times and that's all really. The woman who played Bloody Mary was terrific and she sang her two songs amazingly.

It was funny because the older patrons kept saying that "Nothing compares to the original production!" Well duhhhhhhhhhh! I mean come on! You are seeing what at the time was relevant and poignant. Now it's a history piece. It doesn't have that same draw as it once did. The book is old. It's good, but still old. Granted there is still blatant racism and the song, You Have To Be Taught, stands true through the ages.

Afterwards I spent the night with The Tall Man and he declared we are "Dating" in the simple sentence: You're the first blond I have ever dated. So it wasn't a declaration, but it made me smile. Grant I don't need a declaration to make me realize that yes we are dating. How many times can I say dating or declaration in one paragraph? And not in a historical way.

1 comment:

CP Finn said...

"He sings Some Enchanted Evening three times and that's all really."

I think you somehow forgot him singing "This Nearly Was Mine." That number was tremendous.