Tuesday, July 22

Scenes With My Family: Being Blunt

(IGUANA waits in the lobby of a hotel that his brother and his girlfriend. He is slightly nervous and sweaty. IGUANA's BROTHER walks into the lobby.)

IGUANA: Hey how are you? Where's Rachel?

IGUANA's BROTHER: She's getting ready. You know how girls are?

IGUANA: Um...no actually I don't.

I.B.: (Laughs) I thought we'd run to the store while she gets ready. I got to pick up some things.

IGUANA: Yes, sure.

(They exit the lobby and walk down the street in silence. There is an awkwardness about them. A comfortable awkwardness that comes from over a decade of having lived together, but never knowing each other.)

IGUANA: This heat is horrible. I just sweat and sweat.

I.B.: Yes, it's hot.

IGUANA: So you guys shopped all day? Get anything good?

I.B.: (Shrugging) Well Rachel got lots of professional clothes for interviews for jobs. Listen, I have to tell you some things.

IGUANA: Huh?

I.B.: First. I smoke cigarettes. Don't ever tell mom!

IGUANA: (Small pause) Ha! She doesn't know!? You see her more than I do and every time she sees me she says, "I can tell you've been smoking." (IGUANA's BROTHER shakes his head) Heh, you must be very careful around her. She has a nose like a smoke alarm. I guess--

I.B.: I also smoke weed. I'm going to the store mainly to buy some blunts. Would you like to smoke with us?

IGUANA: (Stops in his tracks) HA! (Aside) Listen to me, I sound like Bette Davis! Well, yea that sounds terrific. I mean I wasn't sure if you still...

I.B.: I've never really stopped smoking weed.

(IGUANA pauses this moment is a fine line to walk and can turn awkward or okay at any moment.)

IGUANA: Sure, lets do this.

BLACKOUT

No comments: