Saturday, November 17

Judy, Judy, Judy!

I've reawakened the Judy Garland love I have had for years and years recently. Now it wasn't asleep, I just realized that I removed her from my vocabulary and seemed to replace her with Patti LuPone. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's what I do, I go on phases when I always love some diva. Except Anita Morris, Anita is always loved...ALWAYS.

But in honor of Ms. Garland I am posting three of my favorite movie clips of her. See them before youtube.com removes them. In the first, The Trolley Song is a young Judy who went from little Dorothy Gale who was so innocent. To a sex symbol who was truly a beautiful woman!



The second is Get Happy, where my favorite story of Judy can be told. The day before they shot this Judy did it completely drugged out of her mind and was a huge mess. The director said, "Go home...come back tomorrow and do it correctly." Scolding her! The next day Judy showed up and the results are before you. This was also Judy's final movie at MGM and what a way to go, huh?



Lastly, is The Man That Got Away, perhaps one of the most amazing versions of this I'd ever heard. To know that Judy was singing this song for years and years, but she reinvented it for this movie. Her crowning glory! Only to get snubbed at the Oscars...why do I love the underdogs who don't win the awards? Is that some sort of bizarre symbol?



Brava, Judy!

No comments: