Sunday, February 15

A Valentine Day Massacre

When the heart is lonely it will find company.

I woke up yesterday at 1 PM and was feeling the effects of booze, drugs and go-go boys. Despite that, I decided to run at the gym and live the day normally. My friend told me to ignore that it was Valentine's Day, which is possible to do. How can one ignore roses being sold on the street and giant heart shaped balloons? How can you ignore people holding hands and being more cuddly that normal in public?

I decided once I returned home from the gym that I was going to cook some chicken and see if I could find someone to come over to cook for. I tried asking my Non-Date from the other night, but I don't want to come off as non-needy.

I finally settled on Honey Mustard Chicken with baby carrots. I needed to run to the market though to pick up some missing ingredients. As I entered the market in 3.5 seconds faster than I expected I saw my Neighbor from the Super Bowl. Yes, one of the two who offered to DP me. Oh what a world we live in.
IGUANA: Hey! How are you? (Despondently) Happy Valentine's Day. What are you doing here?

NEIGHBOR: Hey! Just picking up some food. So far I'm making dinner for me, myself and I. What about you?

IGUANA: I'm making dinner for myself tonight. I just needed to get some things. Are you spending tonight with your boyfriend?

NEIGHBOR: No. Just me tonight.

IGUANA: Oh, okay. Well see you later.

Yes, I suddenly had an agenda.
IGUANA: Hey. By the way, can I get your number? My roommate mentioned how you guys wanted to watch Weeds.

NEIGHBOR: Oh yes, no problem. (Rattles off number)

IGUANA: Are you really having dinner alone tonight?

NEIGHBOR: Yes.

IGUANA: Do you-- Uh-- Want to have dinner together?

NEIGHBOR: Yes, of course!
So I ran home and we made plans to meet in a couple of hours. An hour before he texted "I'm buying Rum and Coke, can you get straws?" Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? was cast and ready to go.

I showed up and we drank. And drank. And drank. I drank simply to keep up with him, I knew alcohol was how he kept his nerve. We have more in common than I expected and he loves his boyfriend. His boyfriend also does not sleep with him for reasons I shall keep between us. I'm not in love, nor am I in lust. I just needed the company.

I would write more, but it's his life and he has told me some things. Tips and advice. That can be beneficial to my future. I will see him again, I am sure.

No comments: