Tuesday, January 8

A Faggot Grows China - Part Five

Hong Kong was memorable beyond belief! What an amazing city, expensive, though amazing. For the first time on this trip I really spent money. I finally accomplished my goal of finding musicals that don't get sold in the states. Due to currency exchanges though for five CDs I paid about 800 Hong Kong dollars, versus like 150 in America. It was well worth it though.

We also traveled by cable car to the Giant Buddha in the mountains, which truly was enlightening to the mind and soul. To top that I went to the Temple of 10,000 Buddhas. I am inspired with the iconic Buddha. Him vs. the Madonna are neck and neck. There were more than 10,000 Buddhas at this temple though, approximately 15,000.

We ate Dim Sum, at a confusing but delicious historic restaurant. We also had some amazing Sushi at a cheap place, though I spent a lot. It was well worth it. The Salmon Mango rolls were to die for!

We saw the Hong Kong Light Show, where 33 Buildings on two islands light up daily at 8, for a somewhat uninspiring display of light works. Though it's nice to see a city to well designed that waterfront buildings can do that. We topped off the trip with a journey up to Victoria's Peak to watch the sun (almost) set behind some clouds and get some wonderful pictures! We had to take a tram that literally tilted 45 degrees to 80 degrees on the trip up. In my head I was singing The Trolley Song ALL the way!

I played the Tour Guide of this city, thanks to my Lonely Planet Guide. The map was a bit dated, and in less than a year they have built like 3 new subway lines. But the facts got us many places and I was the one reading the map and leading a group of 9-12 people at one time. I rocked that job. It's a thankless job I admit. Yet, I did it.

I want to buy a Lonely Planet Guide for New York City and learn the city that way. I am going to do that when I get back to Brooklyn.

I miss Brooklyn...

No comments: