Saturday, January 5

A Faggot Grows China - Part four

Before I fly off to Hong Kong...once again sounding glamorous. I want to discuss the amazing dinner I had with my Chinese friend, Sprite. It's a nickname, true, but it's an incredible one. I met Sprite at the English center here in Nanjing. He came up to me and cornered me. We discussed things, like how old we were, where we go to school.

He told me he was 22 initially. So I felt drawn to him. This is my first lesson in how age doesn't matter ever. Not that I haven't had that lesson before, seeing that I have older friends and lovers. Later I found out he's 20, but in China some mothers count the year that they CARRY the baby as a year. Plus on the Chinese Calendar there is a second birthday. So he counts himself as 22.

I talked with Sprite and learned he is basically a straight Asian guy. I am a ridiculous gay man. How could we get along? Yet, our different ways meld so well. Then again I have been learning to get along well with those of the straight ways.

Sprite wasn't my partner for the actual event. My partner was Jason...who was a 26 year old Law student...Realtor. He was boring and not fun in the least. Sprite commandeered himself my partner after I said that I didn't enjoy mine.

They encouraged us to meet up and do things in Nanjing. So when Sprite called me yesterday asking to go to dinner, after the day I had with my class. I wasn't all to enthusiastic. Then I met his Chinese friends, especially Jasmin, and some other Americans came. And we accomplished to things. We had a roaring good time with a group of kids from another country and we had the best Chinese food I have tasted so far.

Especially the Potatoes dipped in honey and topped with sprinkles. That were served at scalding temperatures and then you had to dip in water to eat...yes, not lying. Amazing experience.

No comments: