Thursday, September 20

Iguana At Home — A 3-Part Mini Opera

Theatre, theatre everywhere and not a chance to justify complaining...If everything goes according to plan, by the end of September I will have seen:

Hair 40th Anniversary Concert in the Park
The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
King Lear at BAM
The Misanthrope

I finished watching the Swedish version of Chess, which is amazing though slight absurd.

Why treat me like a fool?

It was a production of epic proportions.
The three leads were good in their own way, and though I didn't understand a word of it, I loved it all the same. All the songs are amazing and though the staging may be a little kooky and the chorus a little awkward in certain scenes. In short, to see a staged version of it finally was totally worth it.

Will he miss me, if I go?

So, the fall setting in Park Slope is beautiful. It's almost more picturesque than the falls back home, and we had some good falls. It's too perfect though. I have walked down the street feeling like Kathy Whitaker - A Woman on the Verge.

I could be in someone else's story! In someone else's life...

How does this sound for being a touch insane...So I got a special recording of A Little Night Music (The BBC Concert starring Betty Buckley and Maria Friedman (a role I actually enjoy her in)) So upon listening to it, the recording is a touch dodgy, but truly amazing to hear the whole show starring one of my favorite Divas. The only noticeable problem is it doesn't have A Weekend in the Country. One of the greatest Sondheim opening Act II numbers ever.

Act II just starts with Maria Friedman saying in her ever singsong voice [insert sarcastic look here], "Plague." WHAT?! But it sounds like such a funny joke! I need to know someday! What is she saying Plague to?

So my solution [insert crazy reference here] is to record the Weekend in the Country number from the Lincoln Center Revival in 1990. I do this because it's the only version I know of on the Internet that contains all the intermittent dialogue during the song...

No man, no madness...

Lastly tonight, I leave with my latest anecdote [I wrote this to a friend in an email]:

Funny story, the other day a guy was selling books on the street. This was during my bad day (losing insurance and all that) and you know it's book sold from a table on the STREET. You would think that it be like 2-5 dollars a book. I found a Hirschfeld book that I've seen many times at Strand for like 9-10 bucks. I go, "How much is this." and the old gay bitch says...

"Asking price is 18 dollars...but I can negotiate. It originally went for 30 dollars." I looked at him with my one eyebrow askew and said, "I only have a couple of dollars." He shrugs and I go to put it back and the BITCH grabs it from my hands and says, "LET ME DO IT!" I let it go a second to late cause I wanted it to fall to the ground, but he caught it.

Only in Park Slope would someone sell books in the STREET on a table for consumer report prices.

No comments: