Sunday, September 9

Iguana Is Fantastick!


The weekend moved by quickly, but quite enjoyably. Some ups and downs, but mostly ups. What's more surprising is the fact that this coming week, because my school is filled with many Jewish students. I only have class Monday and Tuesday. How insane is that? With Labor day, followed by this coming week with three days off, I feel I can't fully get into the school "mood." I know that come October and November I won't feel the same way.

This weekend was enjoyable because I finally saw The Fantasticks with the Gentleman Caller. He likes to rub it in that out of the "handful" of shows he's seen, he has seen like 2-3 that I have never seen. It's when he says things like that, that I am filled with the urge to slap him across the face. Figuratively not literally. He knows it bothers me and I find that admirable...I think.

What's great about finally seeing The Fantasticks is that I can NOW listen to the CD I've had for months and understand what is going on. It truly is one of those shows that you need to see before actually hearing it.

This should come as no surprise, but I found myself incredibly drawn to The Girl (or Luisa as she's called). Maybe it's the fact that Liza once played the role and I feel universally drawn to her. Not only that, she played it opposite Elliot Gould. So therefore if their characters procreated and Liza had a child (understand, this is ALL a hypothesis) that child would most likely be me.

It was more of the fact that The Girl is the dreamer of the show. Her song Much More was fascinating, and she had these quirky lines like, "I am special...please God, please! Don't let me be normal!" I sat there thinking, "Oh...I've said that many a time."

The show reminded me of a smaller version of Candide. It shared the idea that dreams don't last forever and reality, no matter how cruel must set in eventually.

Sometimes you need to die a little in order to grow.

The rest of the night was supposed to be spent in Astoria, Queens at a Dollywood Vs. Bollywood theme Birthday Party. With two DJ's literally spinning Dolly Parton and Indian Mixes. It was ultimately not in my Destiny to never go to this party. While waiting at my friend's apartment before the party, I went to use the bathroom.

While I was out of the room they got into a trivial fight. About what time we were supposed to leave. I feel that my being present at the time of this fight caused one of the couple to get flustered and he just left the apartment without saying a word, while I sat there. The other and I sat there watching TV for another hour, until he proclaimed that he wasn't going to the party. This one, not going, being my better friend (and the fact I was supposed to spend the night at the end of the party at their place, and he would leave much sooner than the other) gave me an address to meet the others at the party. I wasn't about to go now.

The Gentleman Caller to the rescue.

He let me come over to his place, because I didn't want to go home and I like to see him. We watched half of Capote and now I want to read In Cold Blood. Seeing as I have two books, amongst many other books for school, to read. I will put that one for later.

Speaking of which, I'm currently trying to speed through Manuel Puig's The Kiss of the Spider Woman before I see the musical. I'm not entirely upset if I don't finish reading it, the book is immensely different. It's brilliantly written, entirely in conversations between the two prisoners. Molina is such a lovely character, entrancing for me to read, yet he isn't perfect. It's wonderful. I wish I didn't know his fate because I am sure this book, and the musical may do it too, would put me into tears when it finishes. Time will tell.

I've been spending a lot of time with The Gentleman Caller lately. I sometimes find myself confused by what he takes it all as (ha! Understatement!) I like what it is and all that comes out of it. A friendship with kissing really is what it is right now. I'm not really in the state of mind to expect anything more and I am NOT in the mood to rush anything.

Let me figure out how to make this person my friend...

I feel comfortable with him. Not completely, but personality wise I am not worrying about idle things. I can act stupid and not worry. Plus, he's very handsome. I find myself looking at him when his back is turned...in his boxers...I know that I don't often feel that with other guys.

Oh GOD! I hope he knows I'm somewhat smart...

Because I am in the mood for it...

No comments: