Wednesday, September 12

Iguana Isn't Sure


Something tells me the Margaret Garner that I saw tonight at the NYC Opera, with The Gentleman Caller, will not become a household name. I mean it is a modern Medea tale. Then again what story isn't nowadays? I did get to see Toni Morrison in person. The only thing I could really ever say to her is, "Thank you for writing The Color Purple...because without it we wouldn't have the amazing movie and the interesting musical." Which would give her every right to slap me.

It had some decent orchestrations and Morrison reminded me of Handel...you know...she kept repeating the same line over and over again. It just failed to excite me. The lead never got a chance to really sing. In an Opera the lead woman (of who the opera is about) should have a "alone on the stage balls out this is MY show" song. Like Butterfly or Tosca have. It shows you who owns the stage. Yet, she had none really. The Plantation owner got two of those numbers and he bored me to tears.

What sort of annoyed me most of all was the fact that Garner wasn't hanged for killing her children. She died of Typhoid Fever. Why add a trial and a hanging scene? I know for dramatic effect, but it just seems ridiculous.

The boy who played her son (who was probably only like 6 or 7) he played the BEST dead body I've EVER seen...EVER!

And I've seen a lot of dead bodies.

It's good to see brand new works, so in that I'm happy. Plus it means that the Opera season has started. I just need to pick and choose wisely.

Kiss of The Spider Woman...AMAZING book. I am more than half way done and tomorrow and Thursday I plan on finishing it before the show.

I've discussed the Gentleman Caller enough this past week so I am going to forgo and thoughts on him tonight....

Three days off starting tomorrow (today) and hopefully going home this Friday/Saturday and laying my hands on my passport...Haircut tomorrow. Boring day, not much to report.

Amazing update on the normal life though! I "dumpster dived" and got a two drawer dresser and a small table...for the first time in over a year...I lie to you not. I have put my clothes away officially! They are in drawers! My room as suddenly expanded immensely. It's like I live in a palace now! Oh my! You don't know what this feeling is like.

It was so liberating, coming home at midnight. Seeing the furniture on the side of the street on the walk home. Going home and changing into normal clothes. Going back out, in shorts, a T-shirt and flip flops. I walked down the block and proved that I am actually VERY strong as I carried the heavy dresser back to my room. There was sweat, buckets of sweat. Some teats...almost. Then a lot of cleaning with antiseptic wipes. Much of that. After finishing I smiled. Sure the drawers are a little iffy and broken (they do work though), but I did it...on my own.

Here in Grey Gardens...

No comments: