Monday, July 9

Birthdays come and birthdays go. This birthday has gone. I'm 22. It was quiet and nice. I'm waiting for more replies on my birthday party in two weeks. I don't want to under book restaurant so I'll give it until Wed-Thursday.

That aside I saw Eurydice again and it still is beautiful in my eyes. The people of All That Chat can get me out for their stupid and worthless opinions. However bad they may be I ALWAYS continue reading that message board. Then again my day was made when some little gem posted this about Gypsy starring Ms. LuPone:

"You want tickets for this."

Not if the tempos are too fast, as reported by one poster below.

The tempos were way too fast in the Bernadette Peters revival, destroying the musical values of this great show, and even if I hadn't seen that revival five minutes ago, I'd stay home and content myself with the original cast album (the original original).


Now...

We are ALL entitled to our opinions. But honestly, I ask you. It's a limited run and it's starring a lady that has stayed true to theater for years and years no matter what happened to her. If she sings the song at a faster pace then she does that. Granted it's being directed by Arthur Laurents. You know, the man who WROTE the book to this show. I'm sure he may have a small feel for what's right.

But that's okay queen, if you want to stay home and listen to Merman sing those tunes I say good for you. I'll be seeing Patti this Saturday and I don't care if she sings so fast the show is over in 25 minutes. I will enjoy every minute of it.

Oh speaking of Gypsy, my Gentleman Caller made a sweet gesture saying he was going to buy me tickets for my birthday. Unfortunately, I have my tickets already. I guess he doesn't realize that I'm not very trusting in the terms of others. And in theater I have never waited for someone to take ME to a show. I take people. I did tell him it was a sweet gesture, perhaps one of the nicest a person can offer me.

Moving on...

The birthday was just friends and drinks and more friends. I woke up feeling older. 22 is the beginning of the end, or was it the end of the beginning, or the beginning of the beguine? I can never remember nowadays. It's wrinkles and gray hairs and getting older from here on out. It'll also be more tattoos, more maturity and living life as I usually do. I can't wait for 30, who knows where I'll be then. Check back in 8 years shall you?

I'd write more but I must be off to the city to spend the one gift I got: A gift certificate to Virgin Records. Unfortunately I already bought several CDs on the 7th...I know I'm a fool. As I said I just don't understand people giving ME things, even on my birthday. It's a VERY Cancer trait I learned. Luckily there are ALWAYS CDs that need to be purchased.

I leave you with this birthday miracle. How nice of Nell Carter, Charlotte Rae, Bea Arthur and Punky Brewster to ALL get together to tell me that I am party of their family...Even Nell who came back from the grave mind you. I tell you, 1978 was forever changed when that gal hit the scene with Mean to Me. Holla back Nell!


No comments: