Wednesday, July 18

The Queen of Vibrato


Betty Buckley is FUCKING fierce.

Seeing her live and she STILL gives you chills and you realize you've been idolizing this woman since you were but a young child, when you first heard her sing And Eve Was Weak from Carrie the Musical.

That's right, my first Betty Buckley song was that and NOT Memory.

Then to hear Memory and realize that even though Cats sucks, this woman is phenomenal. Or to hear her be under used in The Mystery of Edwin Drood, or used just right in Triumph of Love, but to have such talent wasted. Or to hear her Carnegie Hall Concert and to just be blown away moment after moment with each song.

Or to hear her FIRST ever song on a Musical (1776) to be the last song you've ever heard her sing in her eclectic mix and to hear a young version of greatness.

My dream is to somehow see her as Norma Desmond in Sunset Blvd (or get a recording of it somehow). Until then though, I will live with all the great memories I have asscoiated with this woman. Including tonight when I saw her, at 60 years old, and she still blew me away with her voice.

Brava Betty, brava!


No comments: