Monday, July 30

Iguana Rose Lee

Tonight I will wear my jockstrap....

Sometimes, I have feelings, deep down inside that tell me to do things. Saturday, was one of those days. I spent the day doing nothing. As my entry reflected. The night is where I begin my tale.

I'm a pretty girl mama.

I have a wonderful drag queen friend who I just made recently. She has introduced me to the night life of the gay NY scene. It's been a blast going out with her and her group. What's old life to them, is new and exciting to me. This being her birthday weekend I decided to join her for a little birthday bash, some free liquor and a fun time. I was feeling horribly sad during the day because my life works that way. But, that's a story for another night.

I got ready for the night and as I choose underwear something said to me, "It's humid out, it'll be easier if you wear the jockstrap tonight. So I followed that voice. That voice that has lead me into many interesting situations so much in my life.

Tangent...

Tonight I saw Patti LuPone's Gypsy fully through and it was GRAND! More than grand, it was just amazing. Patti has got it. You either love her or you hate her. And I LOVE HER.

At this club they had a hot body contest. I really didn't want to join. I didn't intend to join. I wasn't going to join in. It's not my thing. I am good at being naked with one person in the room...or maybe seven. But, not a club. Besides the prize was only 100 bucks.

Patti was not the only amazing person in this show. There was also the amazing cast that supported her. It was like a meeting of the amazing talents. Boyd Gaines, Allison Fraiser, Nancy Opel, etc. It just went on and on. Each number entertained to no end.

I looked at the competition. A drunk, DRUNK girl. A fag who had way to much confidence and too much flesh and a girl wearing a cute dress. She would be my biggest threat. I wasn't nearly enough drunk to do this, but my friends insisted I do it. And I have always been one to take up suggestions.

One of the better moments of the night was Dainty June and Louise's duet If Mama Was Married. It was thrilling. I have never seen June played so darkly and hateful of her life. It really made the character interesting. I was in love with her for every moment. Other amazing moments included, Everything's Coming Up Roses, Rose's Turn and Gypsy's Transformation Sequence...

So I stood on the stage in just my jockstrap. A bar filled with onlookers watching. It was probably 65% straight and all I could think was, "How can I win this if the guys want to see this girl's tits?" It was at the Drag Queen host's request that she told me to turn around. Where she gave me a hard slap on my ass and the crowd went wild.

Rose's Turn was a fabulous breakdown scene and Patti played it to perfection. The audience in unison, unison I repeat. Immediately stood up to give her an amazing standing ovation. It was perfection and amazing to just be part of. Then the show ended and up comes Stephen Sondheim and Arthur Laurents. Two...no, three living legends on stage at once. Correction again, so many living legends on stage at one moment.

We had three different recounts. People cheered loudly for me, people cheered loudly for her. I was shy, she was drunk. I followed in the art of Gypsy Rose Lee and "lowered a strap" but still left the audience wanting more. If I'd been given better music I almost guarantee that I would've fit the role perfectly.

After seven curtain calls. The audience refused to leave and for good reason, right? We didn't want it to end and I wanted to stay in that moment forever. Just keep screaming and cheering for the perfection that was on stage. I wanted to live my life through Patti's voice. I wanted her to keep singing Rose's Turn one more time so I could put it to memory and hold it forever.

Unfortunately, it was a tie. When the straights are on the sides for breasts, the fags have to work harder. I think I set some kind of fun standard again since my friend said that females always win because there's more drunk straight men there. I won 50 bucks. The easiest money that I'd ever made. I found a gimmick in just following that voice in my head.

The best part of my night was when Patti (during the final curtain call) pulled out a camera and took photos of the huge standing ovation that refused to leave her. It was truly flattering that she feels overwhelmed by how many people love her. I wonder if Grey Garden's had the same effect. Oh wait there's no numbers in that show that could possibly move anyone. Whoops.

It's funny how my life parallels the theater I see sometimes.

Let me entertain you...


No comments: