Thursday, July 19

Iguana's Task

I said I would buy the flowers myself...

That's how it all started. The trouble. Well there is no trouble yet. I've always been a party planner in my small home town growing up. I liked to often have small get-togethers. I liked to create situations and watch them brew.

I had a small group of friends and I loved to entertain, bring my friends together. Mostly they were movie nights. I would pick an obscure movie that no one in my small town would ever watch and then show them to my friends. We'd chat beforehand and then pop in the flick. I would then sit back and watch their response to the flicks.

My first movie night I remember clearly. I showed Requiem for a Dream...to my friends...when we were 14. Now, usually a group of 14 year-olds aren't watching that. I'd say something along the lines of She's All That would've been more appropriate. It was exhilarating. It followed with movies like Magnolia, Battle Royale, Blue Velvet and appropriately enough The Hours. Those were just a few of course. There were many.

I once held a marathon viewing of Angels In America (when the Miniseries premiered on HBO) and I made mock-playbills casting the group as the characters they fit. It added a whole new level to the viewing.

There were other nights too. I guess I've always been an instigator, a troublemaker. After years of teenage movie viewing. It left my parents feeling safe and trusting. They probably knew it would amount to more. Suddenly, watching movies wasn't enough. You can ask my small group of friends who's basement was the first basement they got smashed in. While his parents were two floors up fast asleep? The name would be mine.

I felt people needed to explore and why not make it happen. Remember, a life of getting and not wanting.

Of course those years are in the past. I have left those kids behind. I still see them, but we are all growing up, and these little events becomes less and less exciting.

Now on Saturday I'm doing it again. I'm throwing a small get together (18 people have RSVP'd, which is like 8 more people than I pictured!) at Juniors in Manhattan in Shubert Alley. A perfect setting for a party hosted by me. It's a great restaurant in a Theatrical area. But 18 people. A mix of friends from all my walks of life. People will be coming that I never intended to meet. It sort of frightens me, yet I feel honored they'd come.

And yet...

all I can think about is buying the flowers myself!

This Friday as Harry Potter 7 comes out and the world slowly reads. At an independent book store near Union Square. A trick and two ex-boyfriends of my past will all be in this bookstore working a midnight release party. One will be in charge, one will be playing Harry Potter and the third will be Draco...

None of them were ever supposed to meet and yet they will all be together. Will my world collapse. Will I suddenly disappear as the three unite in the same room? Will a lock click and ALL the evil be released on the world?

I want to buy the GOD DAMNED FLOWERS MYSELF!!

No comments: