Monday, July 2

Iguana Is Holding to the Ground


This Saturday my life was changed, I finally saw a show that I have longed to see you probably 9-10 years. The show was William Finn's Falsettoland. This is the final in his Musical Trilogy. It caused me to do something that I have rarely done in the four years I have been seeing shows in New York City.

I cried. Not just cried, I started to ball and sob. It was so incredibly moving I couldn't help it. Seth Rudetsky says it best:

"I think the show should perpetually be playing in New York. The characters are so rich. There's no hero, no perfect person. All the characters are flawed, and that's what makes them real. And the story is so beautiful. It's about what love really is."

I agree completely with that thought. I'd listened to the Trilogy for years and years. They are very difficult, but not in a bad way. They're basically operas, all singing and no actual speaking. The musical beautiful and fun on the ears and though the shows are all short, it's a trilogy to the fullest. The ending is so sad and the final song of the show is one of the most beautiful musical numbers I have ever heard in my life.

If you call yourself a theater person and you don't know these three shows that make up the Trilogy, then I suggest you find out now. You know who you are.

No comments: