Wednesday, February 27

Chess on Broadway - 1988


Chess, if you don't know already and many (the four people who read this) of you already do, is one of my all time favorite musicals. I have finally acquired a bootleg of the production! It's amazing, well semi-amazing. Okay, I'll just admit it I secretly love it with all my heart. I've only watched Act I, but I can't wait for Act II. The three stars sing their hearts out and it's such a shame that the cut the CD down to the minimal songs. Yet, that makes sense.

Trevor Nunn does it again! And when I say that I mean he uses the same techniques he used the year before in Les Mis and would use many years later in Rock 'N' Roll. Meaning when all else fails lets use a turntable...Now, I love the turntable, don't get me wrong. It can make an otherwise dull show, fascinating. Once the stage starts spinning you just feel this overwhelming urge that something amazing will happen!

Now for Chess this actually was very true. The way the staged moved (turned), along with the two moving towers made it actually look like they were walking down hallways. It was very cinematic.

However, this show was not without problems. First to mention the utterly confusing storyline. Since every version of Chess is different I cannot tell you the story so easily. The Broadway version though not only had a love triangle (as it always does) there is the whole USSR vs. USA idea. Plus there's Florence lost father. Add in two "agents" who are working for the greater good. Last but not least bring in the sad devoted wife. And I tell you, you have one crazy storyline.

Also there is the music...the epic and amazing music. Then there is the question of...what does one do during these songs? Well in one version they had the chorus provide entertainment by dancing, while the lead sang their ballad. In concert versions it's easier, because we don't expect much. In this version though (save for One Night In Bangkok) Mr. Nunn didn't think about this fully through, nothing happens.

The best example being Nobody's Side. This is Florence's huge number where she finally leaves Freddie and decides to play the game her way! It's a wonderful song, the lyrics are a bit nutty. Yet you listen to it and feel completely empowered! So for years I've wondered what Florence would be doing during this number. Would she be smashing shit up? Would she be standing there doing nothing? So the song begins and well...I think my thoughts are best said in the email I sent to my friend, which was my immediate reaction to the number. Yes I write my friend about my feelings on certain parts of musicals.

Enjoy and I suggest listening to the actual song while reading (Click here!) You really get the feel:

But as we've discussed, the songs are so epic, what do you do? Like the song where people sell things it's just odd. However, my favorite moment is when Judy is singing Nobody's Side. At least in the Swedish version they have Florence in a club getting drunk and have a REALLY good time.

While in this Judy starts off singing after Freddie leaves. Then the turntable moves and Florence walks into her hotel room. Now you think it's gonna get great...and she proceeds to start packing her suitcase...

The rest of the song (like 2 minutes) is just her belting her heart out and she's folding her sweaters and folding skirts. She throws the shoes in very mad. Cause she's belting very powerfully...Yes...so that's just a funny moment.
Lastly, since I'm on theme of Nobody's Side. I may as well drive the point home with this little gem...

No comments: