Saturday, February 16

Meet Me In St. Louis


So I finished Meet Me In St. Louis last night. What a movie! What's best about the 2 DVD set is it comes with an intro from Liza and she's hilarious.

"Papa told Mr. Mayer he wanted to make a movie about a family in St. Louis! And that was all! And then he met Mama and they just fell in love...he always shot her in a frame! Like a window or a mirror! Oh listen to me just going on about my mom and dad! Oh just watch the movie already!"

Liza says that after she finishes her rendition of Judy with a J that her good friends John Kander and Fred Ebb wrote for her. I kid. What struck me is how colorful this movie was! Like a total orgasm for the eyes. Vincent had a good idea with this one.

Judy is stunning, it was her first movie that portrayed her as more than the "Good Time Gal" reputation she'd had since Wizard of Oz. She was 22 when they filmed this movie, which I find even more grand because that would be what Judy looked like if we were best friends now!

Imagine Judy and I walking down the street. Her in her Blue Tassel dress and me in a Tight T-shirt. Judy pointing and saying, "Let's go sing the Trolley Song...but on the subway!" Of course I'd have to join her.

The one thing about the movie though is the fact that her youngest sister, Tootie, disturbed me deeply. The entire movie is sunshine and happiness and the most stressful moment is Judy and her neighbor's relationship. Honestly, that stressed me out a little bit too much.

Then you have Tootie who is pure bitch and a little bit lesbian. She tells people she hates them and spreads rumors that their neighbors are alcoholics. She pretends that Judy's Beau beat the shit out of her. Which causes Judy to go never door and pop a cap in his ass! (that scene was worth the entire movie).

What I found more creepy is near the end of the movie, after Ms. Garland performs the legendary Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. Tootie flips shit and runs out to the yard and somehow acquires a baseball bat/large piece of wood and proceeds to destroy the family of snowmen they had built three scenes ago. Screaming and ranting that she hates them. She brutally smashes them and in particular she aims for decapitating them. It's frightful. I just wonder if Tootie was a repressed Lesbian or had the makings of a Serial Killer (ala Monster).

If you are curious how I mean brutal go 3:18 of this video and judge for yourself:

No comments: