Friday, May 2

Diva Divine: Ann Reinking

We'll pretend it's May 1st because I said I would do this the first of the month from now on. I'm going to just give appreciation to a diva of my choosing in the month. Patti will get her dues, but not for the kickoff. I present to you:

Ann Reinking

We probably would remember her in this way: Dance and voice. Probably one of my favorite dancer's next to Ms. Morris. She was Bob Fosse's muse (after Verdon) and she spent massive amounts of time making sure his choreography would be remembered.

Productions
Dancin' – 2009
The Look of Love – 2003
Fosse – 1999
Chicago – 1996
Tommy Tune Tonite! – 1992
Dancin' –1978
A Chorus Line –1975
Chicago – 1975
Goodtime Charley – 1975
Over Here! – 1974
Pippin – 1972
Wild and Wonderful – 1971
Coco – 1969

Her credits are many and she is most known for her starring and choreographing the still running revival of Chicago. Some say she copied Gwen Verdon's very own vocal qualities to a T. Be it intentional or not, Ms. Reinking has always had a distinctive croon. Anyone who can kick that high is an okay dame in my book.

My favorite role of Ann's would have to be the flop role of her life: Good Time Charley. She played Joan of Arc in a musical that was told from King Charles (Joel Grey) point-of-view. Odd right? I read an old TIME magazine review of it. They said, and I paraphrase:
Joel Grey was a one trick pony, performing the same song and dance over and over again. However, Ann Reinking was therefore a prizing-winning Clydesdale who strutted around the stage.




I would love to see those legs strut any day!

No comments: