Friday, May 16

Jewish Fairy Godmother

I believe I have a Jewish Fairy Godmother at Brooklyn College. Well let me explain:

It's a Cinderella story, really.

In a desperate attempt to get into a science class this semester I wrote a letter to the powers that be. I found the email addresses of two Bio department heads (Stepsisters), begging to have an override into the Core Bio class. So I could still believe that I would be graduating next spring. I may be dirty, but I'd like to go to the ball too.

I sent the email out and immediately received an auto-email from one stepsister who wasn't in her office. Telling me, "Come back this fall and perhaps I'll fit you in." That was of no help, I quickly figured how the next email would be received.

So I went about my day. Going out and doing chores and spending my stimulus package on plays. Paula Vogel, William Inge, Sarah Kane and Tracy Letts. I'm gonna have lots to discuss pretty soon one I begin reading.

Later in the day I got a strange email. Not from the other stepsister, but from someone else. Someone I'd never emailed before and she bore the last name: Steinberg. My fairy Godmother, Luna Steinberg (as I have started calling her) was a Godsend! She didn't explain why she was involved, but just wrote:
Hi: I see from your transcript, that you are a lower senior and I can give you an overtally in one of the fall cores; anything but 0458, 0459, 1914, and 1915. please check your schedule and let me know which code #.
Who are you magic lady? Where did you appear from? How did you get into my file without my SS#? How did you know what I wanted? Being the skeptic I am I humorously replied with the class I'd like to take. Figuring there was no hurt in trying.

Later that night the other Stepsister wrote to me telling me, "Take summer classes, if not take it next spring!" I went to bed, knowing that I would never graduate until 2010. Making that six years of straight undergraduate living.

Then this morning I awoke to a gift from my Godmother:
Hi; your permission is now in for 0456, and you can now registerJ
Do you believe in magic? I do. She signed her name as a smiley face! And like that, I am taking Biology next semester!

Thank you Fairy Godmother. I hope this isn't the only time you'll be helping me.

No comments: