Wednesday, May 7

I ordered the chicken...


A Catered Affair. It lacked a lot. It lacked a good book. It looked memorable music. It lacked, really anything. I wanted to like it. I really did. I love Faith Prince and she played a cold hearted mother who had a couple good numbers. But when you have a character walking around saying, "I never loved you enough...I hate your father...I don't like to think about my life." How can you possibly feel moved by her?

There were two really awkward moments in the show. First, when Faith had a nervous breakdown. She was brilliant (as someone who knows what it's like to go through that), but it was so weird and seemed forced. But she went from zero to sixty in no time flat! Sitting there, just having had her daughter tell her a big wedding will ruin her life. And Faith looks at the flag that was delivered after her son's funeral and just LOSES it.

Then there was the songs that liked to end on a downbeat and not rhyme. Then Faith just stands there for a good solid minute or two. Apparently, she stood on the fire escape for the entire night and into the morning. Oh yes and those scenes in the kitchen and on the fire escape...Oh goodness. I love seeing flops. Just love it. These was one of those shows.

I also got a new little order of Broadway DVDs. This time it was a majority of them being plays. I got The Normal Heart, Souvenir, A Streetcar Named Desire, Patti LuPone at Les Mouche, In My Life, Angels in America – The Opera. I am starting off with Souvenir.

If I knew what the show was about when it was on Broadway. I would've been there in a moment. Florence Foster Jenkins was a Tone deaf Socialite who became famous. Then in her Carnegie Hall performance she realized people were laughing at her. I think it's an amazing story that is so cool to watch unravel (though it's fiction). Also it's taped from 2005 and on HD Video and has excellent sound. Judy Kaye played Florence and really was truly amazing, especially since she won the Tony for Carlotta in Phantom in 1988. Hurrah Ms. Kaye, hurrah!

No comments: