Monday, August 18

Bringing Up Baby


Next Kate Movie: Bringing Up Baby. Really funny, in 1938 it's hard to remember that this witty banter between Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn was ahead of it's time. Both of their timing is lightning quick and I'm amazed at how much of it seems like it's improv. Grant's mumbling seems so natural.

Here's some amazing lines:

Susan Vance: You mean you want *me* to go home?
David Huxley: Yes.
Susan Vance: You mean you don't want me to help you any more?
David Huxley: No.
Susan Vance: After all the fun we've had?
David Huxley: Yes.
Susan Vance: And after all the things I've done for you?
David Huxley: That's what I mean.

[In jail]
Susan Vance: Anyway, David, when they find out who we are they'll let us out.
David Huxley: When they find out who *you* are they'll pad the cell.

Mrs. Random: Well who are you?
David Huxley: I don't know. I'm not quite myself today.
Mrs. Random: Well, you look perfectly idiotic in those clothes.
David Huxley: These aren't my clothes.
Mrs. Random: Well, where are your clothes?
David Huxley: I've lost my clothes!
Mrs. Random: But why are you wearing *these* clothes?
David Huxley: Because I just went gay all of a sudden!
Mrs. Random: Now see here young man, stop this nonsense. What are you doing?
David Huxley: I'm sitting in the middle of 42nd Street waiting for a bus.

[David discovers the leopard in Susan's bathroom]
David Huxley: Susan, you have to get out of this apartment!
Susan Vance: I can't, I have a lease.

[David and Susan have just discovered that Baby is missing]
David Huxley: Now don't lose your head, Susan.
Susan Vance: My what?
David Huxley: Don't lose your head!
Susan Vance: I've got my head, I've lost my leopard!

David Huxley: You don't understand: this is *my* car!
Susan Vance: Your golf ball, your running board, your car? Is there anything in the world that doesn't belong to you?
David Huxley: Yes, thank heavens, YOU!

[reading letter about new leopard]
Susan Vance: "He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs." I wonder whether Mark means that he eats dogs or is fond of them?

[reading letter about new leopard]
Susan Vance: "He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs." I wonder whether Mark means that he eats dogs or is fond of them?

David Huxley: Susan, is there any way to cross this stream?
Susan Vance: Oh, surely it's shallow. We can wade across.
[they both walk into the stream, then fall in after the floor drops off]
David Huxley: Oh, Susan...
Susan Vance: The riverbeds change!

No comments: