Saturday, August 30

Things To Be Happy About

Things I am happy for:
  • Watching Golden Girls with my roommate who has never seen the series before.
  • Getting a package from a friend through blogging. One of my four readers. Beckett on film and Joan Didion. What more could a boy want?
  • Re-watching Cowboy Bebop and remembering happiness and times when you didn't lie awake at night. I'm working with the insomnia.
  • Seeing Burlesque Shows in Coney Island and knowing that not only are you seeing a forgotten art form and a celebration of the unorthodox body, you are in a place that holds a little bit of Americana, soon to be torn down.
  • Knowing you have a voice over in a small independent film and that voice over is: "Cum in my ass." This is my legacy.
This quote: In brief, people with self-respect exhibit a certain toughness, a kind of moral verve; they display what was once called character, a quality which, although approved in the abstract, sometimes loses ground to other, more instantly negotiable virtues.

And this quote: They are willing to invest something of themselves; they may not play at all, but when they do play, they know the odds.

Oh, and this one too: As it happens, there is a sound physiological reason, something to do with oxygen, for doing exactly that, but the psychological effect alone is incalculable: it is difficult in the extreme to continue fancying oneself Cathy in Wuthering Heights with one's head in a Food Fair bag.
In short, I am really thankful for Joan Didion. It's amazing how we've lived such separate lives in different times, but I read her books and feel like she's writing letters to me. This is how to dealt with this when it happened to me. Here is how you can deal with it. Don't worry, I know because I've been there.

I know that it's preemptive to say that life is on an good level. It's very early, since we are just beginning another phase of life. Moving onto adulthood and figuring it out. I know it's all for the best, I've yet to really feel regret.

What's nice is in writing this all out, I've completely forgotten what I was going to write that made me angry.

No comments: