Sunday, August 24

Licking my Wounds — The Garland Remedy


Yesterday I was lazy. Ridiculously lazy. Summer is coming to a quick end as usual and I am entering a new seasons with pensive thoughts and newfound bitterness. I won't allow that though and I saw Hamlet 2. Which made me laugh much more than I expected. It was like the scripts Waiting for Guffman, High School Musical, Passion of the Christ and Hamlet all got mixed together. It was very cute and funny.

Then I talked a friend into buying me the Judy & Mickey DVD box set. Somehow I managed to talk her into it and so it's mine! I sat at home last night and watched Babes in Arms. Judy is a flower as a young woman. She gets all the performance numbers and even does black face at one point. There's something very interesting in seeing a young Judy perform numbers that she would later reshape and make her own.

The box set is totally totally worth the 50 bucks. It comes with poster sized photos of Mickey and Judy in production. As well as a bonus DVD with 21 of Judy's best moments at MGM (before they fired her). It's really sweet to see Judy in her young twenties singing songs like, "Zing, Went the Strings of My Heart" and then to realize the way that song was hers for the rest of her life. Just as easy as that. She sings it once and thus she will now sing that song repeatedly and make it her own.

Poor Judy. I love you.

No comments: